To begin implementing wireless networking in most, if not all, discrete or process settings, there are some common, primary steps:
• Evaluate application's present and future performance requirements.
• Check existing wired and any wireless networks and upgrade overall, facility-wide communication integration plans.
• Perform complete wireless site assessment and RF survey to evaluate physical settings and possible interference sources.
• Try out antennas and test locations for stable coverage and best signal transmission and reception.
• Implement wireless components and network to meet application's present requirements, but allow for future expansion.
• Teach operators and other staff maintenance and troubleshooting skills for wireless.
This article is a part of the Industrial Networking Quarter 4 cover story, "Wireless Makes It Simple."