Voices: Reader Feedback
The subject article in your July 2015 issue of Control Design by Dan Herbert (“Tear Down This Wall,” Control Design, July 2015, p20), has given me cause for concern as it ignores fundamental security issues that can be introduced when connecting control system environments to other environments such as business networks. While the world is becoming more and more interconnected and “connecting machines to IT systems provides a number of benefits,” such connectivity, if not installed properly, can introduce many security challenges. These inter-connections can enable security vulnerabilities and potential pathways for compromise of the control environment by malicious threat actors.Read More
More From This Voice
- May 6, 2014The PLC May Be On the Verge of Extinction as a Hardware Proposition
- Apr 8, 2014A Reader Recalls First Encounter With a Burroughs B3500
- Apr 8, 2014A Reader Disagrees With Our Editor On All Fronts About Lithium Batteries and Electric Cars
- Apr 8, 2014We'll See Energy Storage Made Better Very Shortly
- Apr 5, 2013Why Is There a General Perception That Robots and Automation Always Mean a Reduced Head Count?
- Apr 5, 2013It Depends on a Manger's Perspective on the Importance of Others vs. Self
- Oct 4, 2012Our Reader First Saw "PLC" Used by Allen-Bradley to Distinguish Its Product From DCSs
- Oct 4, 2012Our Reader Addresses Their Concern for Many of Their Customers' Control System Security (or Lack of It)
- Sep 5, 2012A Reader Thinks Handheld Wireless Controls Can Be Good for the Workplace, but Must Be Monitored by the Company
- Aug 16, 2012A Reader Reflects on Our Articles 'PLC Genesis', 'The History of the PLC' and 'History of Control; History of PLC and DCS'
- Aug 16, 2012The Conflicting Relationship Between Business IT vs. Control Engineers
- Aug 16, 2012A Reader Disagrees With Our Editor That Lack of Respect or Low Pay Deters Young People From Entering Technical Fields
- Aug 16, 2012A Reader Agrees With Our Editor That Owners Must Be Educated on the System, Not Just the Control
- Jun 14, 2012If The Major Players Didn't Charge for the Software or Support, We Would Struggle Kicking Them Out of Accounts
- Jun 14, 2012Where Did We Get Our Statistics on Electrical Accidents?
- Nov 7, 2011Designing an Alarm and Monitoring System or an Operating System Are in No Way the Same Thing
- Nov 7, 2011Volatility of STEM Jobs. The Technical Ranks Within Company Are the First Ones to Get Cut in Tough Financial Times
- Oct 5, 2011The Concept of Mainstreaming Is Killing America's Educational System
- Oct 5, 2011There Is So Much Competition in the Manufacturing Industry That We Are All Having Difficulties Hiring
- Oct 5, 2011Blue Collar Workers Made America What It Is--Well What It Used to Be
- Sep 5, 2011Better Off Looking At a Website Than Finding a Phone Number in a Press Release
- Sep 5, 2011Why Publish a Phone Number When it Might Only Work Locally?
- Sep 5, 2011The Worst Part About Making the Upgrade Is Getting Rid of the Old Stuff
- Jun 15, 2009Manufacturing Returns to North America, and Industrially Hardened PCs Are On the Market
- May 6, 2009Readers Respond to Our Recent Videos and Articles on Higher-Level Languages and Motion Control Research
- Feb 27, 2009Readers Find Value in Machine Vision System Video and Small Vendor Tells Secrets on How to Compete with the Big Guys
- Dec 8, 2008Readers Talk about The Software Language of Choice, Automation Cost Benefits, and How to Be Smarter Than the Boss
- Jun 30, 2008Readers' Respond to Our Article "Green Technology Hoax," "Out of the Cabinet" and "Can A PLC Handle Hydraulics?" Read What They Have to Say
- Jun 10, 2008A Reader Asks Us to Focus on Our Core Mission of Delivering Information Relevant to Controls Engineering
Reader Feedback: The Price of Safety, Switching Vendors and Getting a Refresher on Motors and GeneratorsMay 3, 2008Readers Talk Back. They Want Answers
- Apr 6, 2008Read What Our Readers Had to Say This Month
- Jan 2, 2008Letters, Letters, Letters! See What Our Readers Had to Say this Month
- Oct 31, 2007Engineers Attend Engineering Schools & Engineering Trek, the Next Generation
- Aug 1, 2007Read what CONTROL DESIGN readers and web site visitiors have to say in Feedback. We welcome all comments, suggestions, criticism and praise. We're particularly fond of the praise, but we really do value the criticism.
- Jun 21, 2007In celebration of the 10-year anniversary of Control Design magazine, we've devoted this month's Feedback section to letters readers sent in response to articles we've published during the past decade.
- Jan 12, 2006Read what CONTROL DESIGN readers and web site visitiors have to say in Feedback. We welcome all comments, suggestions, criticism and praise. We're particularly fond of the praise, but we really do value the criticism.