How Should You Train?

Many machine builder companies employ EEs and MEs, but just a handful of their employees are PEs. The PE label helps machine builder companies in the marketplace. However as companies expand and younger people are brought into the organizations, management faces differing opinions about cost, time and benefit of various certifications the company should or could have their degreed and non-degreed employees earn. The short list includes IEEE's Certified Software Development Professional program, ISA's CAP program and its CCST for technicians, and SME's CMfgE. We'd appreciate hearing what you, as a machine builder, think about the value of these or other programs.
Show Comments
Hide Comments

Join the discussion

We welcome your thoughtful comments.
All comments will display your user name.

Want to participate in the discussion?

Register for free

Log in for complete access.


  • <p> One of the problems is customer expectations. Suppose you have a lovely machine that you have been selling for years to "Industry X." They recognize the ISA and are happy that you have some of your staff appropriately certified. </p> <p> Then you move to "Industry Y." The machine is great and you're ready to go, but the customer keeps asking about CPIP from ISPE or something from the IEEE. Perhaps you need something from the IET to sell in Europe. </p> <p> The PE problems are just as bad. There is, for example, an APEC (Asia-Pacific) recognition of licences - through a professional engineering register. But only certain states and provinces seem to be members. So to get the APEC designation you perhaps have to first get a British Columbia license on top of an Ontario license. </p> <p> The same annoyance, I would imagine, is true if you say have a license to practice engineering in Michigan but not Ohio (perhaps they recognize each other, perhaps not). </p> <p> This is a never-ending merry-go-round of fees, tests, licences, more fees and then surcharges. All these little organizations could do better by a recognizable international license or certification program. </p> <p> So open your wallet and have fun. </p> <p> Ranjan Acharya </p> <p> New Zealand </p>


RSS feed for comments on this page | RSS feed for all comments