Nationally recognized experts will convene at Rockland Community College (RCC) for the Stakeholder Summit: Regional Solutions to the National Crisis in K-16 STEM education on Oct. 12.
The keynote speaker is theoretical physicist James Gates, who served on President Obama's Council of Advisors for Science and Technology and was featured in PBS's NOVA series "The Elegant Universe." Gates will share findings from the council's report, "Engage to Excel," and offer recommendations.
National experts leading workshops include:
- Dr. Joan Ferrini-Mundy of the NSF
- Dr. Nichole Pinkard, founder of the Digital Youth Network,
- Leigh Estabrooks, head of the Lemelson-MIT InvenTeam initiative that provides grants to high school students developing technologies to solve real-world problems,
- Johanna Duncan-Poitier, SUNY’s Sr. Vice Chancellor for Community Colleges and the Education Pipeline,
- Dr. Roy Vagelos, current Chairman of Regeneron Pharmaceuticals,
- Sheila Appel, Manager of Corporate Relations at IBM,
- Dr. Julia Clark, of NSF
The day of learning, partnering, and problem-solving will bring together 150 educators from Rockland and Westchester Community Colleges, Rockland and Westchester school districts, BOCES, and area four-year colleges, policymakers and local business representatives to work together to develop a regional solution.
Discussions will focus on: emerging opportunities, improving instruction, and creating partnerships for a stronger STEM pipeline throughout the region.