The Committee on Equipment Statistics (CES) of The Society of the Plastics Industry (SPI, ) recently released its First Quarter 2005 Report. Among the data included in the report:
- Manufacturers and importers of primary plastics machinery and equipment in the U.S. shipped $239 million in product (excluding components and auxiliary equipment) in the first quarter of 2005.
- First quarter 2005 shipments of primary plastics machinery were 16% higher than first quarter 2004 shipments, but 11% lower than in the fourth quarter of 2004.
- Units of injection molding equipment shipped in the first quarter this year were up 5% when compared to the first quarter of last year, while shipment dollars were up 21% over the same time frame.
- Extrusion machinery units shipped in the first quarter of 2005 were up 4% compared to the first quarter of 2004, while new auxiliary equipment bookings rose 2%.
- Shipments of blow molding equipment in first quarter 2005 matched the number of units shipped in the first quarter of 2004.
The CES collects monthly order and shipment data from manufacturers of plastic injection molding, extrusion, blow molding, auxiliary and component equipment manufacturers. The monthly data is compiled by a confidential third-party fiduciary.