With that in mind, here are the 15 most-read articles since 2009.
15. The Fieldbus Jungle — Part II (May '11): The advantages and disadvantages of the major process control networks.
14. Ball Screws, Lead Screws Face Off (January '09): Real-world differences on ball screws and lead screws.
13. PC-Based Controls Choice Still Evolving (April '09): Decade-old debate over PC vs. dedicated controller still rages.
Meet user requirements for resolution and reliability.
Is it time for automation component suppliers to get on this bandwagon?
Explosion Protection and Intrinsic Safety 101
Everything you need to know about intrinsic safety.
On the Web
Special Report: Smart. Safe. Sustainable
Find the best of the many presentations from Rockwell's Automation Fair 2011.
STEM to the Core
Share what you hear from the industry about the latest initiatives in STEM education and workforce development.
Know What Accuracy You're Getting
What's accurate for one application might be approximate for another. When assessing accuracy, the first step is to understand the terms.
11. Machine Safety Incorporates Relays, PLCs, Risk Assessment and Standards (May '09): Don't get burned. Machine safety is no trip to the beach.
10. 2010 Salary Survey Results (November '10): They say money can't buy you love. Apparently it can't buy you job satisfaction either.
9. Network Behemoth (April '09): Does Ethernet trample all competitive industrial networking alternatives?
8. Efficiency Cuts Cost of Electric Motor Operation (February '09): Total cost of ownership can be less with energy-efficient motors.
7. Relays Yield More Programmable Machine Control Options (June '09): As control capabilities increase, relays encroach on PLCs.
6. Choose Pressure Transmitters Wisely (July '02): Consider the process, select the appropriate device, and design a correct installation.
5. 2009 Readers' Choice Awards Winners (September '09): The 2009 Readers' Choice Awards winners soar high in a sometimes unsettled automation supplier sky.
4. The Fieldbus Jungle (February '11): Fieldbus can be good. Fieldbus can be bad. An experienced integrator examines the benefits claimed and their relationship to industrial reality.
3. Steps Above the Rest (September '10): The 2010 Readers' Choice Awards winners have what it takes to climb to the top.
2. Closed-Loop PID Algorithms in Motion/Motor Control (April '07): Use differential feed forward for numerical controls, or integral feed backward for trajectory control of motion.
1. How Do We Synchronize Motor Speeds? (September '02): Experts help a reader solve this problem.
This month, we also highlight "Accuracy," the first of a two-part series we ran originally in April 1999, examining the concepts and terminology used to define accuracy of measurements.